What to Include in Your Bug Out Bag
In the event of an emergency or disaster, it is important to be prepared to leave your home quickly and have the necessary supplies to survive. A bug out bag, also known as a go bag or 72-hour kit, is a pre-packed bag that contains essential items you may need in an emergency situation. Here are some items you should consider including in your bug out bag.
- Water and water filtration: Water is the most essential item to include in your bug out bag. Plan to have at least one liter of water per person per day and include a water filtration system in case you need to collect water from natural sources.
- Food: Include non-perishable food items such as protein bars, canned goods, and freeze-dried meals. Make sure to include a can opener and utensils as well.
- Shelter: A small tent or tarp, sleeping bag, and/or emergency blankets can help provide shelter and warmth in case you need to sleep outdoors.
- Clothing: Include appropriate clothing for the climate and season, including rain gear, warm layers, and sturdy shoes.
- First aid kit: A basic first aid kit should include bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, and any necessary medications.
- Lighting: Include a flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries or a solar charger, as well as glow sticks and/or emergency candles.
- Communication: A fully charged cell phone and a portable charger, a whistle, and a signal mirror can help you communicate with rescuers.
- Tools: A multi-tool, a small axe or saw, and duct tape can be helpful for shelter building and repairs.
- Personal hygiene items: Include toilet paper, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, and any necessary feminine hygiene products.
- Important documents: Make copies of important documents such as your passport, driver’s license, and insurance policies, and store them in a waterproof bag.
It’s important to regularly check your bug out bag and make updates or additions as needed. Consider including additional items such as cash, a map of the area, and a small water filter. Keep your bug out bag in an easily accessible location and make sure everyone in your household knows where it is and how to use its contents in case of an emergency.
Leave a comment